Friday, August 21, 2009

DS Convention 2K9!

So the DS convention was this past weekend and it definitely surpassed any and all expectations I had going in...Let me just get out some general thoughts about the event and the cast members who were in attendance...

1) First of all, the organization of the event was poor...at best. It was unclear where you were supposed to go and what you were supposed to do and the people running the thing were pretty rude and unfriendly. The transition periods between segments was waaaaay too long and technological problems were a common occurrence of the day. Of course, from what I hear, that's pretty much how it is every year...

2) Jonathan Frid (Barnabas) - Jonathan is old...he may even be older than Barnabus was supposed to be on the show (200 yrs. old). I was glad I got to see him because I'm not sure how many more conventions he has left in him. He was friendly and energetic but most times he couldn't hear the questions being asked of him and needed an interpreter. The other problem is that he isn't a big enough fan of his own show to discuss it with his fans. He doesn't want to answer any questions about story lines or characters...he doesn't seem to think too much of the show at all...which is sad because it's really his only true claim to fame.

3) John Karlen (Willy) - I'm pretty sure Mr. Karlen was drunk most of the day. He was funny, but came off as kind of a jerk and his shoes were untied the entire convention. During the Q&A session, he talked about thinking the one director was a jerk and how Christopher Pennock (YAEGER!!!) kicked his ass one day. I know some of my fellow DS fans disagree with me on this point, but I didn't like Mr. Karlen one bit...not at all...

4) Lara Parker (Angelique) and Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans) - These two are grouped together because they were very similar. It was obvious both thought they were God's gift to planet Earth and they both HATED each other. During the Q&A session, whenever a question was addressed to the entire cast, these two were the first to chime in. They would not SHUT UP! And every time Mrs. Scott was answering a question, Parker was rolling her eyes or looking at Scott like she wanted to tear her eyes out. Interestingly enough, Mrs. Scott was the only cast member I got my picture taken with and we even had a brief conversation...mainly because Parker's autograph line was a mile long and no one wanted to see Maggie. So I didn't have to zombie bitch slap Maggie because it seems like life has done it for me...

5) Marie Wallace (Eve) and Jerry Lacy (Trask) - There's not much to say about these two...mainly because neither one said much during the Q&A session. Mrs. Wallace seemed nice enough (if not a little insane), but I honestly can't say I remember a single thing Mr. Lacy said or did. He was just kind of...there. Rumor has it that he was charging $10 for a picture and autograph. You're good, Trask, but not that good...

By the way, if anyone stayed for the costume gala on Saturday night and saw the 80-year-old woman hula dancing to Josette's music box...tell me that wasn't one of the funniest things you've ever seen in real life...I nearly had an asthma attack...classic...

No comments:

Post a Comment