Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Collinwood - 1995

Barnabas and Julia have been magically transported to the future – the year 1995 to be exact – only to find Collinwood in shambles and most of the Collins family either dead or insane. Right from the start of the storyline, there are a few things that are noteworthy about the future…

1) In the future, fashion won’t have progressed at all. Everyone will pretty much wear what they did in the 70’s…

2) There will be absolutely no technological advancements whatsoever in the future. People still rock rotary phones and no one has a television…

3) Everyone will hate anyone who has traveled from a parallel time and refuse to answer any questions they ask, no matter how relevant or simple to answer…

This storyline doesn’t really make me think of the future at all; it makes me think of the past. Let’s see, there’s a mute ghost who torments the Collins family and forces them to leave Collinwood. Hmm…isn’t this exactly like the Quentin’s ghost storyline….I mean, EXACTLY! C’mon, DS! Who are you trying to fool? In fact, the guy who plays Gerard looks EXACTLY like David Selby! What the hell?! If you’re just going to repeat the storyline, couldn’t you have at least hired someone who looks a little different?

The only good thing about this storyline so far is watching some CLASSIC acting moments courtesy of the dynamic duo of Barnabas and Julia. This is the kind of stuff people are always mocking them for – from flubbed lines by Barnabas to the constipated facial expressions of Julia…classic stuff here…

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you that I love your blog!
    The commentary on the episodes/storylines/characters are fab, and very amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...I didn't know anyone under the age of 50 even knows what Dark Shadows is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, My mom was an original fan of the series back in 1966. She got me into it, via a friend who had mentioned it was on DVD. I gotta say, I laughed when I saw Barnabas because my mom had already said that she was in love with him and all that. I was expecting something...well...more.

    But then I guess it wasn't fair. First time I saw him was the 1795 series, and he looks pretty dorky in those early episodes with the rosy cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father was an original fan, too! He used to rush home to watch the show, but I think he was a Maggie fan moreso than a Barnabas fan...at least I hope so...

    ReplyDelete